I wish to 'suspend' my boradband service for 2 months.

Posts relating to changing broadband providers

Moderator: Wardy

I wish to 'suspend' my boradband service for 2 months.

Postby Chrissy on Sun May 06, 2007 5:46 pm

I am lucky enough to be going on a 2 month holiday shortly.

I asked my Broadband provider (tiscali) if I could 'suspend' my service for 2 months, as I am not keen on paying £14.99 per month when I will not be using the service. I have been a customer of theirs for some time and am not limited by a minimum contract clause.

They said NO!

So I think this will be the prompt for me to cancel my service with them, and on my return from holiday start up with a new provider, possibly TALK TALK who seem to have quite a good telephone/broadbank deal.

So, my question is (finally) should I still ask for a MAC when I cancel my service with Tiscali. Will Talk TAlk (or whoever) need one even if there is not active broadband on my line.? Plus I see in Tiscali's new Terms & Conditions (effective 1/6) they will charge a £40 fee if you cancel without a MAC.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Chrissy
Chrissy

Postby Wardy on Tue May 08, 2007 4:08 pm

Well a MAC code lasts for 30 days from when it is issued.
It seems pretty odd Tiscali are not doing more to help you out if it had meant you would stay with them. Sure they could give you 2 months free knowing you are not going to be using it.
That said, there is nothing wrong with changing providers to soemthing that suits your needs better.

I don't know what to suggest to be honest, there is no point cancelling without a MAC as you would then be charged £40 (I'm surprised at this) which is £10 more than 2 months subscription would cost you.

Maybe just cancel and take a MAC code and then just join a new supplier when you return?

Cheers
Wardy
Wardy
Site Admin

Return to Broadband Switching